Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Hi, this question is on behalf of my current girlfriend who

Hi, this question is on behalf of my current girlfriend who is 28. For years she has been going to get the yearly gyno visit. Everytime things has come back normal. Now this year, she is told her pap smear came back abnormal. She is very, very upset. They now want her to go back for some sort of biopsy. Ofcourse, I know nothing about this matter and want to comfort her? What could be going on here?

The biopsy is to evaluate for possible precancerous or cancerous changes of the cervical tissue. Often it is not. An abnormal PAP may be caused by a cervical infection such as bacterial vaginosis (this is not an STD). The classification of the PAP would be helpful to know. The most common abnormality is abnormal cells of uncertain significance. She may have had this report or hers might have been a higher level of concern.

If she had premalignant type cells then they may recommend a procedure that removes the lowermost cells of the cervix. There are several potential procedures that may do this but leave the cervix and uterus intact.

In the worst case scenario if she were diagnosed with cervical cancer then a hysterectomy might be the recommended treatment. Cervical cancer is one of the most readily treated as long as it is caught early.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has eben helfpul and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks doc. They told her it is "Mild" and for her to come back when she can.

Whatever mild means?