Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

bit of a sore throat and it has developed and worsened

My local time here is approx 14:30 on Sunday 1st August. On Wednesday last, 28th July, in the evening time, I first noticed something developing. I had a bit of a sore throat and it has developed and worsened since then. I have developed a fever - I don't have a thermometer but I am really hot most of time and then I get really cold and then roasting again. I have spent most of Friday and Saturday in bed. The muscles on back of neck are quite sore at certain times (not always same level of sore) and at times I feel weak. I do get out of bed and try and do something around the house (bed is boring) but I always want to go back to the bed after not too long. But the thing thats at me most is my throat, its now at a stage where I don't want to swallow my spit, every swallow is really sore. Just this morning I think a sort of mucus has developed, which is harder than spit to swallow obviously. There is a horrible taste in my mouth too since this morning. When I look into my throat with a flashlight I can see that it is red and a few white thin streaks of white on back of my throat has also developed, I'm not sure if that is just the same gunk that is on my tongue - There's white gunk on back of my tongue. Last night I couldn't sleep properly cause I kept waking up in pools of sweat and having to throw off the blankets and then waking up to pull the blankets back over me. This kept on happening. I got a pain in my head a couple of times too, briefly, but not much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Thanks for using just answer.

Does these white areas on throat and tongue painful and red?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, When I look in my throat it looks red and tender.

There is white gunk on back of my tongue, which can be scraped off.

On back of my throat where it is red and tender, if I look closely I can see some little patches of white - I don't know if this is the same white gunk that is on my tongue that has just rubbed onto my throat or not - I don't know.

And my throat in general is sore, how am I supposed to tell if its the red part or little bits of white that are causing the pain?
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 6 years ago.

Ok and thanks for your input.

Respected customer your are having pharyngitis. White patches over throat and tongue

can be due to associated fungal infection called candidiasis ( oral thrush).

You need to consult your doctor.So that he can look into them physically. You need to

start on antibiotics and anti fungal drops.Continue taking panadol and hot drinks but

avoid strepsils. Do have saline or warm water gargles daily at least thrice.Thanks and

do let me know if you need further help.

Edited by Dr.Israr on 8/1/2010 at 2:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer:

I have a question....I have this since Wednesday night - 3 and a half days ago. Does ones body start fighting the infection by itself or only with antibiotics, I ask because I am wondering if the past 3 and a half days count towards my recovery period or does it only begin when I start taking antibiotics?

And also, if I go to doctor tomorrow morning and begin antibiotics then, how long should I expect it to last before it is gone?
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Body start fighting infection at the same time it enters body through different ways.Development of fever shows that body is fighting with infection. As the products of death of infection basically acts on brain to cause fever. Antibiotics helps body in killing infection. So they play a supportive role.

Throat infection usually start getting improve by 5- 7 days and got treated by 10-14 days completely. If you feel you are improving symptomatically then you can wait for tomorrow morning to see doctor.

Edited by Dr.Israr on 8/1/2010 at 2:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
don't get me wrong, the reason I am waiting until tomorrow morning to see the doctor is because the doctor is not available today (Sunday). So it should be improved to a point where it isn't so very sore to swallow by Wednesday next? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 6 years ago.

Ok i got your point.

Yes it usually do start imporving to such extent in 7 days that you will not feel any soreness to swallow by next wednesday. But do see your doctor tomarrow so that you can be started on antibiotic and anti fungal treatment to speed up healing. Thanks

Edited by Dr.Israr on 8/1/2010 at 2:29 PM EST