A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My son has had a fever of 102.5-102.9 for the last 24 hours.

My son has had a fever of 102.5-102.9 for the last 24 hours. He hasn't been drinking very much fluids and he is just starting to eat a little bit. When should we be concerned enough to take him to the hospital?

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. How old is your son? Have you been giving him ibuprofen around the clock or has he just had the first dose?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He just turned 2 years old and we just gave him his first dose of Ibuprofen.

Thanks for the additional information. The ibuprofen should bring the fever down nicely. If his fever remains 103ºF or above even with the ibuprofen taken on schedule, you should call his pediatrician. There is someone on call for every practice 24/7. Warm sponge baths will also lower his fever, but don't use alcohol, ice water, etc. Try to get him to drink fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated. There is no need for the hospital unless he is having difficulty breathing or the fever goes up to 104 or so.