Nurse Tracy
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience:  4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.

i just fell and hit my head pretty hard agaist a wall . it

i just fell and hit my head pretty hard agaist a wall . it is on the right above my ear close to the top of my head . i have ice on it . when is it neccesary to have your head checked ?

Welcome to Just Answer!

The following are indications that you would need to visit the Emergency room following such an incident:

1. loss of consciousness

2. bleeding that does not stop in a few minutes

3. if you are taking any medications that are considered blood thinners such as a daily aspirin, coumadin, etc.

4. you are confused or those around you think you are confused.

5. you have a loss of memory

6. you have any changes in your vision, hearing, speech, balance.

Now if you feel fine with only a slight headache, do not take aspirin or ibuprofen. Stick to a pain medicine like Tylenol. If you wake up tomorrow and feel worse, you should call your doctor and explain what happened. He/she may just want to see you in their office on Monday.

Please let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions!

Most kindly,

Nurse Tracy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do take natural supplements , like fish oil , for heart , Ginger root , and tumeric for inflamation of joints . These are known to thin your blood . Do you think that is okay ?
Do you have any bleeding under the skin where you hit you head (or any open bleeding)? Bleeding under the skin would be noted by fast swelling with a quick change in color of the skin (generally dark red, black, or even blue) immediately following the accident. Also do you have any of the changes I listed above? (Change in balance, speech, etc)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no just parted my hair around it . my scalp looks pretty white . luckily i need a touch up so black roots make my scalp easy to see . i don`t really feel weird my head just hurts in the spot i hit it . heads are pretty hard as rule right ? thank you so much for your help !

Yes, our heads are very hard! :) The natural supplements work differently than the medicinal ones, so unless you see swelling, then you should be just fine. The ice should be sufficient in helping to reduce pain. If there was bleeding you would still notice significant swelling despite the ice. But you didn't. So as long as you feel normal with no other symptoms other than some achiness, then all should be well for you to get a good night's sleep. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Most kindly,

Nurse Tracy