Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

Hi, my son was just diagnosed with hand/foot/mouth disease.

Hi, my son was just diagnosed with hand/foot/mouth disease. Is it possible that my husband or I could be carrying this virus as well, and if so, could we pass it on to others? (I am supposed to attend a party for my 90 year-old grandmother this weekend, and I don't want to put her or any of the children at the party at risk). Thank you.
Sarah Vitek
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.
Hi

This is a mild illness although your child is infectious and can pass this on to others - children much more often than adults.

If you read the link below it covers all the relevant patient info.

Dr Jef

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Hand,-Foot-and-Mouth-Disease.htm
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. But my question has to do with whether I, as a parent, might be carrying the virus. If I attend this party (without my son), is there a chance that I could pass the virus onto others? Again, my elderly grandmother will be at this party, along with several children.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

Hi

You are most unlikely to carry the virus - you are almost certainly immune as most of us are exposed as children.

Even if you were not immune and were incubating the virus you would only be slightly contagious - and anyway the illness is mild and is always in circulation in the community.

Your elderly grandmother is not at risk - again she will almost certainly be immune.

Hope this helps

Dr Jef