Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

his neck and back and saw some kind of flat board exicise maching..mri

Customer Question

my brother in law has pain in his neck and back and saw some kind of flat board exicise maching on tv that you lay on and put your feet into straps and it rolls back and forth and is suppose to help your lower back but cant seem to find the site to order or check on status of . can you help? i just found out that he has been to a sports doctor , had an mri and a shot in his back but still in pain the doctor seems to think that he hurt his neck while doing lots of ceiling painting at his house.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

How long has he had this problem?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
years ago he had some lower back problems but over the years it didnt give him much trouble and now he has had this awful pain for a least a month after doing all the painting on his house ceilings. he didnt put it with the pain but got so bad that he couldnt lay his head down on a pillow and had pain in his shoulder also so went to an sports doctor that ordered a mri that determined that he needed some p therpy and a shot in the back of his neck and pain meds. he has had about 6 sesions with the p therpy , still taking pain meds and due another shot next week. as i stated he saw some kind of machine on tv that he thought might help but couldnt remember the name of said machine . he was having spasms and trouble turning his head and still has trouble turning his head but spasms are gone after the shot. thanks for your help!!!!!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Don't thank me too soon - this is a real tough problem - and notoriously difficult to treat.

The usual management consists of effective analgesia - usually a combination of an opiate and and anti-inflammatory in addition to aggressive physical therapy.

The link below explains the problem and outlines the treatments and self help advice.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_types__symptoms/neck_pain.aspx

I would not usually advocate spending your money on devices advertised on TV - they rarely offer that "miracle cure."

If you can give me a list of his present meds I would be happy to give an opinion on optimizing this.

Dr Jef

Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS MRCGP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i can not get in touch with him at the moment but i do know that he was taking a steriod but not now , a pain meds every 4 to 6 hours and some kind of motrin not sure of the name and p therpy that he says is not much help. he still cant sleep in a bed so sleeps in a recliner. i have printed out the information that you sent to me and will give it to him as he doesnt have a computer. if there is any thing else that you can tell me to help it is most appreciated and i do thank you for your feedback.

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

If you are able to get his present drug regime I can give you some info.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your time and for you help. I gave him the information that you sent to me and he is feeling some better. He is to go for another shot this week in his spine or neck area, he is now able to at least sleep in his bed and on less pain meds. He is to continue his therepy and hopefully that will help too. Again , thank you for your concern. I did however accept your advice in anwer to my question and stated that you were most helpful!!!!!!!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I am glad that he is on the mend!

Thanks for the "accept"

Dr Jef