Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My throat hurts when I sneeze or try to swallow.It started

My throat hurts when I sneeze or try to swallow.It started about 4 weeks ago after a hard sneeze and has never really stopped hurting. Now it has progressed and I can barely swallow.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am an ENT specialist & can help you.

Do you have one or more of the following symptoms.

Nasal obstruction

Nasal discharge

Fluid trickling in throat

Throat irritation

nasal bleeding

crackling in ears

Do you have any neck swelling?

Can you swallow liquid easily or you have problem with both solids & liquids?

regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes to all except crackling in ears.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Can you swallow liquids easily , do you feel just painful swallowing or you are unable to swallow anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I having troubles swallowing anything including liquids.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The condition which you are suffering in my opinion is Rhinosinusitis with pharyngitis.

The main pathology starts from congested nose, it cause congestion in nose with subsequent blockade of the ostium of the sinuses. The stasis of secretions in sinuses make them infected. So it is basically inflammation of the sinuses and results in production of infected secretions in the sinuses. This infected secretions when trickle down in the throat causes throat infection and inflammation which can aid to swallowing problem.

The swallowing problem can be due to some growth in the digestive tract or throat, seems less likely, but needs investigations.

You need to visit ENT doctor to get you examination & investigations like nasoendoscopy, CT scan for sinuses, culture/sensitivity of nose secretions, Fiber optic flexible endoscopy, barium swallow etc.

The medicines you need are

Xylometazoline nasal spray, 2 puffs Thrice daily for seven days only.

Tab Telfast (Fexofenadine)120mg once daily.

Antibiotics (According to C/S)

Steam inhalation with menthol twice daily.

Tab ibuprofen thrice daily

Steroid nasal spray 2 puffs once daily

Except antibiotics other drugs are OTC so you can start them but visit to ENT at the earliest is mandatory.

I am sure if you discuss these things with your doctor , he will take you in a right direction & you will be fine soon.

I hope this helps you.

Please Click Accept if you are satisfied.

Regards

Dr Hasan

Edited by DR HASAN on 7/28/2010 at 7:08 PM EST
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery