Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have mucus and bile in my bowel movements often

What is your age and sex?

Since how long are your symptoms?

Do you have abdominal cramps and gas?

How many bowel motions do you pass in a day?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a female 48yrs. I have had bloating ( which has gone away, I stopped drinking large quanties of milk) and diarreah for over a year. The cramps or more like stomach pain was in the beginning but is no longer. I do not have abnormal gas.

The mucus is secreted by the large intestines for smooth movements of the stool. This is reabsorbed by the intestine. When the large intestine is irritated, the movements are fast, which results in two things;

1) the passage of mucus as it is not reabsorbed.

2) passage of liquid motion or diarrhea as water is not absorbed and thus stools remain liquid.

The passage of the bile in the motion is again due to increased movements in the small intestines. This does not let the small intestines enough time for the bile to get digested.

Two common causes for these symptoms can be;

1) Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

2) Inflammatory bowel disorder (IBD)

Following investigations should give the clue to the diagnosis;

1) Stool examination for parasites

2) Stool culture

3) Colonoscopy

4) Barium meal with follow through study

5) CT scan of the abdomen

A diagnosis of lymphocytic colitis may also be considered which is common in middle age group.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Unfortionately, I have no medical insurance therefore I can not undergo diagnostic procedures. Although, I have read up on IBS,Colitus, and Crohns. I seem to have symptoms of them all.

What would cause large intestine to become irritated? How do I naturally make the stool become nonliquid? How do I decrease the movement in the small intestine.

Do you think this is do to parasites?

I have dewormed a couple of times. My symptoms are not as bad as they use to be. No more stomach pain and no more bloating. I think do to a change in some of my diet.

The bile is very scary and very often. I'm not dieing am I? I have a daughter.

Thank you so much for your time. Sorry I am not able to pay you anymore.

Chance of the worms is very less, with your deworming medications but this is a differential diagnosis of chronic diarrhea. You may try immodium, if you have done it before. The initial evaluation of diarrhea is on these characteristic;

a) stool volume,
b) frequency,
c) consistency, and
d) gross appearance.

This description to use the term "diarrhea" to describe urgency and the frequent passage of small-volume stools suggests a functional disorder such as IBS.

Stool volume can give an idea of disease location and underlying mechanism.

a) Large-volume stools (more than one liter per day) would point to small bowel disease and secretory diarrhea.
b) Small-volume stools (less than 300 ml per day) suggest large intestine diseases and functional gastrointestinal disorders like IBS.

Stool consistency can be varied ranging from formed to watery, and correlates with the rate of intestinal transit.

a) Secretory diarrheas are liquid.
b) Functional diarrheas are soft or semi-solid.
c) Stool floating will be indicative of if being filled with gas from fermentation of mal absorbed carbohydrates.
d) Mucus can point to both inflammatory and noninflammatory diarrheas, such as ulcerative colitis and IBS.

Stool appearance helps to classify diarrhea as;

a) Watery diarrhea is caused by carbohydrate malabsorption, medications, bile acid malabsorption, Crohn's disease, microscopic colitis, chronic mesenteric ischemia, post surgical diarrhea, hyperthyroidism, colonic adenomas and carcinomas, alcohol induced diarrhea, laxative abuse, and hormone-secreting tumors.
b) Steatorrhea or fatty diarrhea is greasy, oily, foul smelling, bulky, or voluminous stools that are often difficult to flush, might contain undigested food particles, and sometimes leaves an oily stain in the toilet bowl. These characteristics suggest pancreatic disease, short bowel syndrome, celiac disease, giardiasis, and small bowel bacterial overgrowth (SBBO).
c) Bloody diarrhea suggests Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's colitis, cancer and chronic infections.

You may try, increased fibers, probiotics, yogurt and banana in diet.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun