Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

My tongue has felt like I burned it for two weeks now. I did

My tongue has felt like I burned it for two weeks now. I did not burn it. It started one night after I brushed my teeth and has not gotten any better. I feel like the skin on my tongue should peel off because not only do I have the sensation of burning but it's numb as well... I just keep thinking it will go away but so far I see no signs of that. I should mention I found out after brushing that night that my 20 year old son who has come for a visit accidentally used my toothbrush. Any ideas?

Thanks for your question.

Do you feel burning after taking spicy foods also?

Is there any white patch or spot on the tongue?

Does your son has such symptoms?

Any disease like diabetes etc you are diagnosed with or any medications you are taking?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There aren't any white spots. It looks alright, maybe a little red. I asked my son right after I started to have symptoms and he didn't have any. I was concerned at the time that he might have been taking OTC meds but have not asked him about that. I am not taking any meds and do not have any diseases.

Thanks for your input. There are several disorders which can cause burning tongue like fungal infections, burning mouth syndrome, diabetes etc but keeping in view the numbness in your tongue i would suggest that you should visit an ENT or Dental doctor to have it examined. Till you visit your doctor you can use OTC Dekatrin Gel on that lesion, if its a fungal infection, it will help you. I hope you can understand that without examination i can give you suggestions.

I hope this helps