Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

How can I strengthen my parasympatheric nervous system

How can I strengthen my parasympatheric nervous system?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 6 years ago.
Some of the steps that you can take to strengthen the Parasympathetic nervous system are:

Cut down on alcohol and smoking: this is toxic to the nervous system.

Regular exercise: this will help in strenthening the system.

Good diet: take a simple natural diet which will help this system.

Yoga and meditation: There are specific Yoga exercises, breathing exercises called Pranayama, which are meant to strengthen the parasympathetic nervous system, you should approach a good Yoga instructor.

Methycobalamine supplements: Methycobalamine is good for the nerves, you can discuss with a pharmacist about a good Vitamin Methycobalamine capsule.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I am not smoke or use alcohol, I run 7 km three times a week, I eat mostly ecological and natural diet, and I have more B12 in my blood than most people.

I do try to meditate but will continue to learn and practice.

Is there anything more I can do????

I really need to enhance my parasympathetic nervous system...

There is nothing specific in the medical system for the the parasympathetic nervous system as such.

Since you are already maintaining a healthy lifestyle, this would be quite adequate.

The only thing which is specific for the parasympathetic nervous system is the Pranayama practise of Yoga, (not just meditation) in which breathing through the left nostril enhances the PNS. Breathing through the right enhances the Sympathetic Nervous System.

You should practise Pranayama.