Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Wearing dentures has caused swollen face

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for your sufferings.

I have to know some points regarding your query before answering the question.

How long are you using the denture?

When the symptoms started?

Which part of the face is swollen?

Is there any raw area or ulcer inside the mouth?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.

Edited by Dr. Saha on 7/11/2010 at 6:47 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have been wearing the dentures since 29 June 2010 and had an adjustment made to the left side of them by my prosthdontist on 6 July. I started feeling discomfort on the right side of my mouth when chewing food on Thursday 15 July 2010. I have a complicated dental set up. The dentures (upper), fit behind a bridge attached to upper front (capped) teeth: a single bridged tooth attached either side of the capped teeth. The dentures clip onto each side of a bridged tooth .

There are no raw or ulcerated areas in my mouth. The discomfort appeared to indicate to me that further adjustment needs to be made to the right side of the denture. Unfortunately, my prosthodontist is on vacation until early August 2010 and I've not been keen to have the dentures adjusted by his locum. I have avoided chewing on the rght side of my mouth but, I am afraid, I have woken up this Sunday morning with a swollen right side of face to the extent that my right eye is almost closed. The pain on the right roof of my mouth, in the area of the right bridged tooth, is a "bruised" aching pain. It feels like I have damaged bone, nerve or sinus which has lead to the excessive swelling.

I do not (knowingly) have any other symptom related to my mouth. I have, however, battled to wear dentures for the last 25 years (approximately), after having my back upper teeth extracted after a serious automobile accident. I did not wear dentures for approximately 4 years depending on the front capped teeth and singular tooth bridges on either side in order to eat food. I decided recently to try dentures again, for more eating comfort. I cannot have implanted teeth due to my sepsis history arising from the auto accident. I had abdominal aortic aneurism repair surgery approximately 11 years ago. I have not smoked for 3 years.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The swelling is so much that your eyes are closed, you should consult doctor as early as possible for examination and investigations to find out the cause and early start of treatment as it is necessary.

The swelling can be due to inflammation or infection.

If it is due to infection, it should treated urgently to prevent any complication.

The infection may spread to adjacent organs.

I would suggest you to go to ER without delay.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.