Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I had a boil lanced on Monday.. the pus lasted a day and that

I had a boil lanced on Monday.. the pus lasted a day and that was it. It wasn't a huge boil. So Wed I had the ribbon of gauze taken out and the doc said it was healing nicely and said that I didn't need to have another ribbon of gauze put in. I am also under antibiotics..

So today is Sat, I changed my gauze, it looks like it is healing but I noticed some pus or blood was on the gauze, is that normal? It wasn't much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it isn't unusual for the wound to drain a bit as it is healing.

So the key here is to ensure that the redness / tenderness / swelling is improving, and that the amount of drainage on any dressing or packing is improving.

Warning signs would be an increase in drainage, or increase in redness / pain, or fever -- if those occur, then you would need to recheck with your doctor, as that could mean that the antibiotics are not the correct ones for the infection, or that there is another abscess or the abscess was incompletely drained.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ahh thank you. I am freaking out less. There is no pain, a little itching but that is it. How long does it take for a lanced boil to heal?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
It depends on the size, the type of infection, and how healthy you are.

It can often take a couple of weeks to a bit longer for the area to heal from the "inside - out".

Of course, very large abscesses can take months to heal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. My last question before I accept answer is, when can I stop wearing a gauze? I can't wait to take a proper shower without the gauze on. oh and the boil wasn't big, it was located on my butt out of all places. Foot in mouth
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Butt boils are very common!

You can stop wearing a guaze when the area stops draining, and the actual boil itself appears to have "sealed" up and healed.