A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Can you have Dermatitis Herpetiformis without having Celiac

Can you have Dermatitis Herpetiformis without having Celiac Sprue? The pathology report says "The changes do not appear to be consistent with bullous pemphigoid or lupus erythematosus. They are not classical for dermatitis herpetiformis, but this entity cannot entitely ruled out." My dermitologist is on vacation this week. I cannot any reference to DH without it refering to celiac disease. Help! Thank You

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Actually, you can. Dermatitis herpetiformis is caused by an allergy to gluten. This allergy can also cause symptoms in the digestive system, in which case it is called celiac disease. Either can exist without the other, or both symptoms can exist at the same time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So more than likely I am allergic to gluten? My nick-name is "the cake lady" I teach cake decorating!

That is too ironic! It is quite likely that you are allergic to gluten, but an allergist would need to confirm that. That is also how you confirm that it is truly DH and not some other kind of skin problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am 63, no health insurance. The doctor said to try 150mg Ranitidine and Benydril bid. I am still getting blisters, I guess I better start a gluten free diet?

Avoiding gluten should really improve your DH with very little cost involved. It will cost something because gluten-free foods are harder to find and somewhat more expensive. Breads and pastas in particular are difficult to find and the texture is somewhat different from what we are accustomed to, but you can try whole foods groceries, health food stores, etc. You can often find specialty foods there that aren't in some grocery stores.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You're so very welcome.