Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

How do you get rid of chiggers in your home?

How do you get rid of chiggers once in your home? Somehow I have chiggers in my house. This is my first experience with chiggers. I've looked at many sites about chiggers, but none of them have an answer of how to completely get them out of your house. I've been washing everything, taking 2 to 3 showers a day, sprayed my carpets, bed, etc. with bug killer, and used a fogger. I keep getting more bites. Often I wake up with them, so I think they might mostly be in my bed. This has been going on for over a week. I finally called an exterminator and they said they don't treat them. Can anyone help? exta info: I have been able to find plenty ideas about how to treat bites, or how to avoid them all together, but I think they are reproducing in my house! How do I put a stop to this before it gets worse? I have a new, 2 story, 1800 square ft house. I can't see these things so how do I get rid of them? It's bad enough my boyfriend and I are itching to death and have about 30+ bites each. But we can't seem to get rid of them.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I am curious as to why you think that the bugs in your house are chiggers. The term chiggers that I am familiar with is for a tiny bug that lives in grasses. It does not live inside homes.

Instead I am suspecting that you may have fleas. This can occur even if you have no pets. But if you do have a dog or cat, you may want to treat them with a product called Advantage, which you can buy at a pet store or your Veterinarian.

To treat a flea infestation there is an easy remedy, which is even non-toxic.

You can sprinkle Borax on the furniture crevices, onto rugs, around the corners of rooms. You leave it 24 to 48 hours, and then vacuum it up. It kills fleas, the flea larvae, and other bugs such as spiders and roaches. It is non toxic to humans and pets. You may buy it at most larger grocery stores in the laundry section. There may be one or two brands of Borax.

You can read more about Borax here:

A common brand found in the stores is 'Twenty Mule Team Borax'
You can actually go here to see a picture of the box it comes in (although your store may or may not carry this particular brand):

It works wonderfully to kill little critters in the house hold.

I wish you quick relief.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

If you could explain more details about the lesions, this would give us a better idea of what you might have. For example, another problem is called scabies. If you look at this article, you can read about the difference between scabies and chiggers. Then, let me know if you think you may have scabies rather than fleas, and I can then give you more information on the treatment of scabies. Correct diagnosis is very important in finding the correct treatment.