CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

When I wake up in the morning, I have small red spots (they

When I wake up in the morning, I have small red spots (they look like blood blisters, but are flat) on my face. Usually my forehead or cheek. Occasionally, there will be some on my hand. They go away after a day or two, but they seem to be coming more and more often. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Do they look like this? :

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, they're not that extreme, but yes, they generally look like that. I can't tell from the picture, but mine are flat.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You may be experiencing something called Petechiae, which are small hemorrhages of the capillaries in your skin.They are red because they contain red blood that has leaked from the capillaries into the skin. Petechiae causes include injury, allergic reactions, autoimmune diseases, viral infections ,thrombocythemia (an abnormally high platelet level), radiation and chemotherapy, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), leukemia and other bone marrow malignancies that may lower the number of platelets, and sepsis (bloodstream infection). I would recommend you show this to your doctor who may want to run some blood tests to try to pinpoint the reason you are eperiencing this. I hope this information helps you,please let me know if i can help you further:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have a doctor (or insurance), so I don't want to spend a lot of money if I can avoid it. IS there a reason they only occur when I'm sleeping? Is that typical? Are there other symptoms I should look for?

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
There is a connection between sleep apnea and petechiae, as well as coughing hard ( Do you cough at night?) as well as poor clotting ( do you take aspirin?)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't cough at night- in fact I sleep VERY soundly. I hardly move, but I snore a little. I do take aspirin most days, for general stiffness. Perhaps I should cut out the aspirin and see if there is any change?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Definitely cut out the aspirin for a few weeks to see if it helps.. if you can, take tylenol.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
you are very welcome:-)