A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Why is there odor coming through my skin/pores after a col

Why is there odor coming through my skin/pores after a colonoscopy?

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There would be no reason for any odor to be present in your sweat after a colonoscopy. The only medication given is a mild sedative (Versed) whose half-life is fairly short. It is completely out of the body within 36 hours after use.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my body lets off an odor generating from my chest and neck area that circulates throughout an entire room. Its embarrassing and I don't know the reason for it. The smell is that of a boil that has ruptured.

That isn't normal, but your doctor is going to have to check to see what is causing it. There would be no reason for you to have an infection that could smell after a colonoscopy. Do other people smell it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, very much so.....this could cost me my job.

Your doctor will need to determine what is causing it. There are some diseases that cause people to smell bad, but they don't suddenly develop overnight. I would suggest you visit your primary doctor ASAP to learn what the source is.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you mind listing a few of these diseases

The one that comes to mind immediately is trimethylaminuria, also known as fish odor syndrome, although it can also present with body odor. Screening is by measurement of the ratio of trimethylamine to trimethylamine oxide in the urine. It is a genetic defect and usually is apparent by puberty, although it can get stronger with age.

Uncontrolled diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis can cause odors, but you would have been tested for this in routine blood work prior to the colonoscopy. Diabetes is also something that doesn't occur overnight, but develops over years.

Some foods can also cause body odor including, garlic, onions, cumin, curry and others.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
being that i can remember complaints of odor from when I was youg that sounds highly likeable to me. How can this Fish Odor Syndrome be treated?

It can be a frustrating disease to treat. Some people take activated charcoal. Mild antibiotics (metronidazole, neomycin) help others. Avoiding foods that contain a lot of choline, carnitine, nitrogen and sulfur helps (eggs, legumes. fish). Taking activated charcoal helps just about everybody. If the urine ratio shows this may be the problem, genetic testing can confirm it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so very much for your time and efforts. I will let my Dr. know too. May God Bless You for the work you are doing here. I am at my wits end with this problem so maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel after all. This is the only logical sound reason that I've come across yet. I will pray and hope for the best.

Again Thank you.

Good luck to you. Have a safe 4th!