Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I want to know if I can take 5mg of ambien rectally diluted

I want to know if I can take 5mg of ambien rectally diluted in water? It does not work for me if i eat anything for dinner. My friend says they do it and it is very effective i just want to make sure it is safe and wont hurt my insides
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Only oral route of ambien has been approved by FDA, so i will not suggest you to take it through any other route. Drug not helping you through oral route is also less likely to help through rectal route. Its better that you visit your doctor for getting some alternative treatment.

Moreover ambien doesnot work well if you take it with or just after you should take it just before you go to bed and give a gap between going to bed and food. Doing so might make it effective for you.

I am sending you a link where you can see that only oral route is recommended.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand that the recommended route is orally but if taken rectally would it damage anything?

I have eaten dinner at 4:30 pm, but even when I take it at 10pm, it still doesn't seem to be effective. I want to get some sleep tonite and I was thinking about trying it to see if it is more effective, i just wanted more of an answer to if I do, would it be safe or cause damage.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Rectal route is used for many drugs and they donot cause any harm, This will also not cause any harm. But my personal suggestion is that this is not recommended and less likely to help you.