Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

My 85-year-old Nana is suffering from temporal artiritis and

My 85-year-old Nana is suffering from temporal artiritis and has been on steroids for at least 15years. Can she fly on a plane for a holiday? Is there any risk involved? Thank you.

What are his symptoms right now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She hasn't got any particular symptoms right now. She has been on a maintance dose of steroids for the last 12 or so years. At presents she takes Prendisolone 2.5 mg one day and 5 mg the next day. Every day.

Thanks for your input.

Yes she can fly & should be continuing her medicines meanwhile according to doctors advise.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr Hassan thanks a lot 4 your input & advice. It is greatly appreciated. Is there anything else in your oppinion that we should take into care and consideration when travelling ie. high blood pressure, tachycardia etc? My Nana is particularly worried about suffering a nose bleed or internal haemorhage....God forbid. Please let me know if you can.Thank you very much. Costas Louverdis

You are welcome, tell her not to worry. She is symptom free and i hope her journey will be fine. Keep your medications with you. It will be good if she visits her doctor before leaving for examination and advise, this will keep her mind at peace.

Nose bleeds and internal bleeding are not likely, the air crafts can maintain pressure so nothing to worry.

Just relax

Edited by DR HASAN on 7/2/2010 at 12:01 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks again Doctor. We will follow your advice. Just to let you know, in addition to Prendisolone, the other medication she is on:

for her high blood pressure she is on Ibersartan (Approvel -as they call it) taking approx. 100mg per day inlusive of dieuretic. She also takes T4 (thyroxine) for her thyroid and Salospir (aspirin) to keep her blood thin preventing clots, as she suffers occasionally from palpitations/tachycardia. Do you think it is appropriate for the dose of any of these medications -if any- should be increased on the day of flying or just take the same dose as normal? Thank you very much and I'm sorry to trouble you. Costas

You are welcome,

The doses are appropriate since they are controlling the disease process, nothing needs to be increased before flight.

Just reassure her that she will be fine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX Costas
You are welcome