Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I had a CBC done approximately two weeks ago, and the results

Customer Question

I had a CBC done approximately two weeks ago, and the results reflected a low white blood count (3.7), a low absolute lymphocyte count (1.1), and a low eosinophils count (0.0). I just had the test repeated two days ago, and the WBC was lower than the first time it was tested (I didn't get specific numbers this time - I was too shocked to remember to ask for them). I currently take Lipitor for cholesterol (which is under control, except triglycerides are still a bit high), Levoxyl for thyroid (which is still low), and Effexor XR for depression. I have had no recent illnesses/infections, and I have no other signs/symptoms of any now. I feel perfectly fine. What could be the cause of the low counts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

The low white count of 3.7 (normal range is 4.1 to 10.9) is not itself that low on this reading and this alone would not typically be significant. You can be perfectly fine and have a low white count. The lymphocyte count normally runs 20 to 50% of the total. 1.1 is 30% of the total of 3.7 so does not seem strikingly low either. Of course you report that the second reading was lower still but do not have those specific numbers. The eosinophil count may range 0 to 7% so this is not a worry.

It comes down to how much lower your counts were as to whether you might have a problem vs none at all. The main thing to potentially worry about would be HIV as this infection does cause the lymphocyte count in particular to drop. This should probably be tested. Before you panic please realize that these numbers are not diagnostic of HIV. It is more likely that you simply are carrying lowish numbers because your immune system is not being stressed right now.

The fact that you feel fine is reassuring and most likely reflects the harmless nature of the lab finding.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. I will be happy to get back with you if you have more questions. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD