A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

white streaks on the back of my throat (mainly on the right side

I throat started out painful to swallow. I have had white streaks on the back of my throat (mainly on the right side where there seems to be a sort of small flappy gash that I can feel from time to time). I also had fever on and off throughout each day along with fatigue. I didn't know what it was until a friend suggested it may be strep. So went to urgent care and the doc started me on penicillin after taking a throat culture. It is not an instant culture so the results have not quite come back yet.

Well, after taking penicillin the pain in my throat has lessened even though swallowing still doesn't feel normal at all. But the worse part is now my whole esophagus down to my stomach seems to be inflamed. Every time I eat something, I can feel the object, even water, as slightly painful all the way down my throat and esophagus until it reaches my stomach. What could this possibly be, and infection? It seems the inflammation that started in my throat has been spreading down towards my stomach....and my ears and eyes seem to be weirdly connected.
Thanks for your response in advance.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Has your doctor checked you for GERD? This is gastroesophageal reflux disease in which stomach acid refluxes back up through the esophagus into the throat and can cause pain. That is a far more likely scenario than a throat infection spreading to the esophagus. Acids in the digestive tract are able to take care of simple things like strep and most common sore throat viruses. That isn't to say that you may not have an infected throat as well. The culture will determine that for sure. Many antibiotics can cause stomach distress, so be sure to take yours with food.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your initial answer. Even though I've never had gastroesophageal reflux disease, that scenario seems as though it is not quite what is going with me. Maybe I am eating some solid foods much too soon. It seems to tax my whole upper body including give me a small hedeache when I do. When I feel my throat from my layrnx down to my clavicle especially on the side just the right of the middle of my throat, it feels very inflammed on the inside. But to give perspective, the pain I feel is less like a sharp excrusiating pain and more of a discomforting pain down the throat that in turn seems to make me my whole upper body feel generally bad.

One of main reasons I'm asking is becuase most people I have talked to, when they've had even a bad case of strep that's in one case included rash, they've been almost completely cured within a matter of 1 or 2 days after taking penicillin. I seem to not have a fever any more but have had these other issues come up.

Your throat really doesn't sound like strep. Strep makes your throat look like raw hamburger and hurts really, really bad. Rash isn't all that common with it though. Penicillin usually clears it up in 4-7 days. No throat infection should be causing esophageal discomfort though.