Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Do you have an allergist specialist

Do you have an allergist specialist?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for contacting us. You should ask your question(s) and someone will answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been taking immunotherapy for 4 yrs. Recently had a rast and the results were elevated on one allergen since the last test done in 5/08. I would like to know why the elevation and the other allergens were decreased greatly. Also the IgE is 28.8. Good or not. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Thanks for your question. I am going to opt out so someone who knows more about allergy testing is free to answer it. You don't have to do anything. You will get an email when someone answers. Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Want an answer
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

What sorts of allergies you have and since when?

Regards

Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
Were you receiving allergy shots specific to that allergan?

How much higher was the RAST test for that allergan?

Which allergan was this?

Did your IgE improve from the previous?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had allergies for about fifteen years. In 2006 I consented to immunotherapy. Allergies are to grasses, bermuda, timothy bluegrass, johnson,ragweed,goldenrod. I have seen great improvement, but am concerned about the elevation on the rast test for bluegrass. Everything else was greatly reduced. IgE was 28.8.
The fact that you did not see improvement in one of the many different allergies is not alarming or worrisome.

Some allergists use mixed grass antigens rather than the specific type of grass. Personally, when I order allergy shots for my patients, I select the exact grass or grasses to which they are most sensitive. The grasses have partial but not complete cross reactivity. The other issue could be related to the time of year, since we are in the grass pollen season.

As long as most of the RAST scores have improved and your IgE is this low, and assuming that your symptoms have also improved, continuing with the shots would seem reasonable. You should however discuss this with your allergist to see if a minor adjustment in the composition of the allergy shots may be necessary.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will there be a light at the end of this tunnel for me. How long do you think I will need to continue thses injections, which are done weekly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please answer. How long do you think I will need to continue these weekly injections. Sure hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
I'm sorry, I had a few phone calls to answer:

In my experience, most patients notice gradual improvement 1-2 years after starting immunotherapy. By 3-4 years (often with a need for less frequent shots), the majority of patients have noticed marked improvement.

You may want to discuss the composition of your allergy serum if you have not noticed improvement in your symptoms.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years