A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Hi I am 511 350 lbs so very obese, there are a few problems

Customer Question

Hi I am 5'11'' 350 lbs so very obese, there are a few problems I have tried with loosing weight like drinking water b4 I eat, green tea instead of pop or flavored iced tea, pills, (i know I know not cool) Even this product called lbs lost. Have you heard of it and would it work? I have 5 slipped disk, siatica, and arthritis so excercising is limited and when I do I feel like Im going to die. I dont eat super crappy all the time maybe once a week, but Ive gained weight (100 lbs) in less then a year, No hormone problems on my bloodwork, tyroid is fine, all in all no medical reason I should gain that much, no diabetes either. Any advice on how to loose some (keep my pain in mind) and any tricks???
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There are no tricks to losing weight. You just need to eat fewer calories than you use in metabolism and exercise. Where most people make their mistake is not measuring and weighing their food, since most of us eat 2-3 times as much as we think we do. There are some 1,200 calorie diets below so you can see the kind of foods you should be eating and the amounts. It takes 2,950 calories per day to support someone your age, weight, and height who is completely sedentary, so you would lose weight on a 1,200 calorie diet.

At 350 pounds your body mass index is 48.8 and you might be a candidate for bariatric surgery (either open surgery or gastric banding) if you would be interested in losing weight that way.