Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

My husband has a fluid like pocket (with no pain and elbow

Customer Question

My husband has a fluid like pocket (with no pain and elbow is not swollen) on his right elbow. It just hangs from his elbow. What could cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.

This could be a bursa , which is usually small fluid filled sac to cushion the joints.Due to repeated pressure or trauma to the concerned joint it can enlarge and present like this.

Treatment is usually rest, padded protection , ice application.The doctor can needle aspirate the fluid also.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for this information. My husband has had a heart attack, and by-pass surgery and also has had a stint put in his leg. He is on several medications - plavix, aspirin, blood pressure medicine. He bruises very easily. He had a hugh bruise on this elbow sometime back. Is there a danger of this being a blood clot even though the elbow is no longer bruised looking or swolllen? How long does it usually take to heal or "dry up"?
Its rare to have a blood clot without superficial color changes unless it is very diluted which is then called a seroma.There is a risk of hematoma considering the medications he is on.More over the color changes can take 2 days to develop.
Only clinical examination and needle aspiration can confirm the diagnosis.
If swelling doesn't increase in size then you can wait till the appointment.
Any rapid increase in size you should take him to doctor immediately while keeping pressure ovover the swelling.
I hope this helps you. Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.
You are welcome.Kindly click accept if you are satisfied.