A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I recently had an ovarian cyst on me left, I was treated for

Customer Question

I recently had an ovarian cyst on me left, I was treated for Bv too. After the treatment, and the pain from the ovary stopped. I started to feel pain on both sides his time. I went an saw a nurse practitioner, she said I had a yeast infection. I told her my concerned of having PiD from BV but she said I didn't appear to have PiD and she thought it was probably just cysts. It doesn't make sense to having cysts on big sides. I don't have an STD, I feel something else may be going on. She said to start birth control but I feel that she isn't person this double pain enough. Is it possible that yeast can cover BV. Why would I be experiencing this pain on both sides. Thank you. Also I'm married with no children and am 23.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. BV is an overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria and it does not cause PID. That is caused by an STD (usually gonorrhea or chlamydia). Yeast infection also will not "cover up" either BV or PID. It is quite possible to have cysts on both ovaries at the same time. You should feel better once you begin the birth control.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's what the nurse practitioner said too. Having cysts on both sides though, how does that work because you only ovulate out of one ovary? Is their something more I should be concerned with by having cysts on both ovaries, can this decrease my chance of fertility. What can I do to prevent these cysts other than birth control. I just feel like their is something deeper than just these cysts.

You don't necessarily have to ovulate for a cyst to form. It can form from an ovum that is not yet mature, although follicular cysts are the most common type. They form when an ovum fills up with fluid instead of going through the normal menstruation process. Some women have polycystic ovaries with many cysts in both ovaries all the time. There is nothing you can do to prevent them unless you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This is a syndrome (a group of symptoms) in which a woman has some of the following: irregular menstrual periods, lack of ovulation (which makes her infertile and increases the odds of more cysts forming), more hair than normal on the face. chest, etc., overweight or a tendency to gain weight, insulin resistance, acne, skin tags, and pelvic pain. Treatment is weight loss is overweight, regular exercise (30-60 minutes daily), and metformin to treat the insulin resistance. You can read more about the condition below.