A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

noticed that i could see my heart beat in my chest

Customer Question

I went to the er the other day because i felt like my heart was having palpitations and racing. I then noticed that i could see my heart beat in my chest. After getting a ekg and cardio gram my results were normal but the doctor said my heart beat was very loud. My blood work came back fine but they said I was dehydrated because my bun was elevated to 28. The doctor said thats why I felt that way. They gave me iv and I have been drinking a lot of water for the last day and I still have that feeling and still see my heart beating hard through my chest. Is this possiblly something else?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Dehydration can cause changes in basic metabolic indicators like BUN and also a feeling of palpitations. The BUN wasn't severely elevated and you are fine with increased water intake. If they are quiet and their bodies don't carry too much fat, everybody can see their heart beat in their chest if they are looking for it. You may also be suffering from anxiety which can cause the heart to beat hard and fast. Your primary provider can check and make sure there is nothing else wrong, but your cardiac tests were fine so there probably isn't.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what else does a hard heart beat mean?

It just means the muscle is working. Often it is from an excess of the neurostimulants (adrenaline) from anxiety. You actually want your heart to beat hard to pump blood through your body, but when you are stressed, scared, or ill, you are conscious of it beating hard more than you are at other times. It also usually beats faster.