A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Hello, my dad is 99 years old and lives at Renaissance Gardens.

Customer Question

Hello, my dad is 99 years old and lives at Renaissance Gardens. For the past 6-8 months, he had pain in his right leg which is severely affecting his quality of life. His primary physician has tried various pain drugs but now suggests we find a pain specialist in the area (Tinton Falls). We really want to find someone that will try to find the root cause rather than just prescribe drugs. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

I would consider x-rays and MRI.

Possibilites could include:

a fractured hip - usually makes walking extremely difficult or not at all.

Herniated disc

Compression fractures in the spine

Sciatic Nerve inflammed.

THese need to be investigated. Your provider may not be doing them due to his age. But you can request that he be more aggressive with diagnosising.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Celeste,

His primary physician suggests we find a pain management person and per my request I am looking for a recommendation near Tinton Falls, NJ (within five miles). We know he doesn't have a fractured him (that was checked along with any other fractures).

So we would like to find a pain management specialist that can go further than our current doctor at Renaissance Gardens.
I understand now. I will opt out so other experts that may be in that area can help you. I wish you well on that journey!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks - will others see this whole thread and respond or do I need to repost it ?
no, they will see it all. You don't have to repost.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I'm afraid you are confused about pain management. They do not "go farther" to find the diagnosis of a problem. Their only job is to make the patient more comfortable. If you are looking for further help with the diagnosis of what is causing your father's pain, you may want to contact a geriatrician in a large teaching hospital near your home. Geriatricians are physicians who have additional training in managing illnesses in the elderly. Just Answer cannot recommnend specific practitioners because we have no way to check their credentials.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hmm, now I am even more confused. His current doctor is labeled as a geriatrician and we are pushing for a root cause and she suggested to see a pain management expert :(

Then that means that she (the geriatrician) may be stumped for a cause and is sending him to pain management to make him more comfortable. I would suggest you have a talk with her. Actually, she may know the cause of the pain, but there may be nothing that can be done to eliminate the cause because of his age of physical condition. An example would be a pinched nerve in a patient who is too frail to undergo surgery. In that case, controlling the pain is the paramount consideration.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have already done that ... she doesn't know the root cause and perhaps we need to push her to look for that. Our dad is complete 100% there and the pain is making his life a bit miserable however global pain relief via vicodin vs finding the root cause seems the wrong direction to us.

Then perhaps you really should push her, or consult with another doctor, for a diagnosis if you don't want to go the pain management route. That would seem to be the better plan.