A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am having CBT sessions to help with my depression but I am

I am having CBT sessions to help with my depression but I am finding that they are making me more depressed that actually helping me. I know they are suppose to help you change the way in which one thinks of situations so that one can alter ones thoughts to see a situation from a different perpective and although I do that it does not help me feel any better about myself.
I am suppose to be having treatment for a bladder problem but I cannot bring myself to even talk about it with my GP and I have an appointment to go back to the clinic but I cannot face it. I know I am the loser but I cannot deal with these problems and do not know how to overcome these difficulties.
Is this a normal reaction to CBT. Help I have so many health problems I do not know where to start.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. CBT can help with depression, but often it also requires medication along with the CBT. Have you ever tried an anti-depressant?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have had a number of antidepressants in the past and recently but they have not been of any help to me and the side effects have been more than I could manage.

I started CBT therapy because it was suggested by my G.P. and I felt it was worth trying and I have looked at sessions on the internet but I am finding it more stressful than I expected and wondered whether this is usual or am I expecting too much from it or perhaps the therapist, who is a trainee, is not the right person for me.

It is very hard to know if it is helping and if things have to get worse to get better which is why I am asking if it is usual to feel more depressed when havinf CBT therapy.

Sorry for the delay but I wanted to try and get my thoughts clear before replying.

Actually sometimes CBT can make you feel worse before you feel better as you confront problems and work through things that may be affecting your depression. It is probably also better to use a completely trained therapist unless the one you have is being very closely supervised. I am assuming you are working with a licensed clinical therapist or a licensed psychologist, and not just someone who claims to be a "therapist." There are all kinds of charlatans out there, so you need to check credentials.

Antidepressants are unique in that what works wonders for one person won't help the next one. It can be frustrating to find the one that is a perfect fit for you. Add to that the fact that it takes about a month for most of the newer ones to get to the level where they actually help the depression and you have a scenario that can be very frustrating for both the patient and the provider. All medications have potential side effects and anti-depressants aren't different. Like most medications, the side effects diminish or completely disappear with continued use.

You may even want to explore the use of a psychiatrist who can both prescribe medication for you taking into account what you have tried before, as well as conduct talk therapy (CBT).