Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I have alot of foot/toe/calf cramping at night when I lay down.

I have alot of foot/toe/calf cramping at night when I lay down. Also, have noticed some weakness and twitching in hands and fingers. Have had labs done in the last 6 months and all are normal. i.e. potassium, mag. The cramping in toes and foot is every night and is so bad it wakes me up!!! Takes forever to get some relief, but never completely.
What do you think?

Submitted: 6 years ago via Diagnose-Me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 6 years ago.
Hello-Have you menopaused?
Have you checked the hormonal levels?
What is your blood pressure?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hysterectomy in 1999

Have not checked hormone levels

BP is regulated-usually 130/72 now

The exact cause of night leg cramps isn't known.Common causes are: hormonal imbalance,muscle overextension,prolonged sitting, dehydration, diabetes, neuro muscular disorders,excessive alcohol,peripheral vascular disease.In most cases cause is unknown.

Following helps to relieve the night leg cramps:Stretching and massaging the affected muscle,applying a cold pack to the affected muscle,taking a hot bath,using a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back,supplementation with vitamin B12 & gabapentin.As you have a major discomfort,so I advice you to get checked your hormonal levels including thyroid hormone and see a doctor as you may need prescription medications.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Meds currently taking: gabapentin, synthroid, singular, proventyl inhaler, celexa, lisinopril/hctz, occ. prednisone for asthma.

Thyroid levels were fine 6 months ago.

Ok. Then you need to check the other hormonal levels like estrogen & progesterone. The imbalance of these hormones is very common at this age.Your doctor may prescribe you medications like ropinirole (Requip) and pramipexole (Mirapex) .Electric nerve stimulation and acupuncture will also be helpful. Studies also have shown that maintaining a regular sleep pattern can reduce symptoms.There is another effective treatment that can help, and that is quinine bisulphate. This is available on prescription from your doctor in tablet form. Taking one tablet a night for a week or so appears to abolish the leg pains in most people.