Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

done leg..suffer with the pain in back and down the right leg

I am asking this question about something that has happened to me 3 times, I used a massage cushion the type you place in chair with rollers, and both times ended up with aches and pains and flu like symptoms, I mean hurting everywhere. Now the other day I had layed on the floor and done leg lifts and crunches and a few push ups. I came home from work and was trying to put a pool up and lifted alot of bags of sand and the pool liner, yesterday at work I started hurting again, everywhere and by night time even had the chills, I also suffer with the pain in back and down the right leg, I have been battling this for years could over exerting do this and cause such inflamation
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Have you ever seen a doctor about this condition?

Do you take any medications (prescription or over-the-counter)?

And do you have any other health problems?

Edited by Valarie on 7/1/2010 at 2:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When it happened in december yes, when it happened before no Valerie I am terrifyed of cancer I was diagnosed with diverticulosis couple years ago had low platelettes in december and 1.5 years ago normal psa
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

It doesn't sound like your symptoms are caused by cancer. After reading your prior posts, your low platelet count could have been caused by a viral infection you had at the time, as the doctor said who answered your question then.

Normal muscle soreness can occur after strenuous activity that you are not accustomed to. This type of soreness will usually feel better as you get up and move around, and may cause some stiffness if you stay still for long periods of time. The stiffness and soreness would clear up in a day or two. Also, the muscles affected would only be the muscles used during the activity, and should not include muscles all over your body.

What you are describing sounds a bit more involved that normal muscle fatigue or strain. There are conditions that can cause an abnormal inflammatory response in your muscles. This inflammation which causes pain and stiffness can also cause fatigue and the "flu like" symptoms. One such condition is called "polymyositis". Some autoimmune disorders can also cause this. Another cause might be problems with the thyroid gland.

So, you need to discuss this with your doctor. An exam, some blood tests and perhaps some other type of testing for your muscles may be needed to determine what is causing your problem.

Here is a link to information about Polymyositis .

Please do not assume I am telling you that you have this disorder. This is just for your information as the article has other possible causes of your symptoms. This information is only so that you can see that you need to discuss this with your doctor. If you do have a condition such as a thyroid disorder or an autoimmune disorder, it needs to be diagnosed properly and treated. Though these things cannot be "cured", treatment can control your symptoms, greatly improve how you feel and improve your quality of life.

Edited by Valarie on 7/1/2010 at 6:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last response here what about the fever 100.5
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Some of the disorders that cause muscle inflammation can also cause a low grade fever.

Or, you have a viral syndrome going on that is causing muscle aches and pains along with the fever. This is a classic symptom of a viral infection, along with headache, and sometimes a little dizziness. Most viruses will also give you some other symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea; or upper respiratory type symptoms like nasal congestion, cough, sore throat.

If these bouts are fairly infrequent (3-4, or fewer times per year) they could be caused by viral infections.

Its worth talking to your doctor about the possibility of having an inflammatory disorder that is affecting your muscles.