Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I guess the last few days my stools have been a little bigger..stool

Hey Doc how is it going! Well I guess the last few days my stools have been a little bigger in caliber still not as round as they used to be, still flat like but not very flat. My question is how can I tell the diff between black food that has not been broken down in my stool and black flecks I guess that is from like Colitis or something like that. I am not sure if it is food or blood in my stool. I just dont get why the stools are always coming out in a flat form and not circular like they use to, that scares me. Oh btw I have not felt to naucios lately its here and there, but sometimes still when I lay on my stomach It will still hurt or feel sick sometimes. As a matter of fact last night I ate some chili dogs I know I shouldnt have but I did. I felt like by gut lower than belly button I almost felt like a beating or something like that, it was very faint. I dunno I mean I stil get full to and stay full. Aghh I dunno but most of the discomfort for sure seems to be around that area.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

Though it is difficult to clearly distinguish sometimes, but black food usually do have some similarity to the eaten stuff and would be in particles. While the black flecks are thin net and usually float.

I would like to put some points for the stool caliber you have been worried about;

1) Is the caliber of the stool very important and diagnostic of any condition; NO.

2) Does the caliber alone can conclude for any condition, specifically cancer; NO.

3) Would a cancer which has changed the caliber of stool (the growth inside forms a typical shape of the stool), will have variable caliber of the motion; NO.

4) So, what is the explanation of the caliber of your stools; may be there is not much reason and it is just dependent on many factors, like your meal constituents, your water and other drink intake, your physical activity and your mental state.

Am I concerned? No.

Would I hurry to get some investigative work for this in you or any of my patient; NO.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HA thanks Doc as usual you have been very helpful. I think overall about the stomach issues it has been improving, the appetite is still not where it should be however I did eat 3 times yesterday though. Maybe it will get better I am going out of town this weekend to stay with friends, maybe I need that to calm me down a bit. I am looking foward to it. I never knew that stress and anxiety can play such big roles on your body.

It is good that your are having an outing with the friends. That will calm down your nerves and I am very hopeful, all your symptoms will perish. Anxiety can mimic any disease! It can confuse the most experienced doctor!!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine