Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

iud..pains & cramps, and most worrying thickish white

Customer Question

I have had the iud fitted for around 3 years now, but past 6-9 months have suffered slight discomfort - pains & cramps, and most worrying thickish white discharge with awful smell. I have been doctors and previously told it was b.v wher doctor gave me pessaries , but it keeps reoccurring, and last time i went doctors bv was not detected, but systoms still here ? I have also had all the std tests which shown negative, and I only have 1 long term regular partner ...Can you please help or advise me what this could be, I am 33 years old
Submitted: 6 years ago via Diagnose-Me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

What did your vaginal swab show?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

first test around 9 months shown bv when i was given the pessaries

Last test was normal (approx 6/5/10) - no infections present ?

I have also recently had a smear test which again shown no problems approx 6 months ago ?

A consideration of the removal of the IUD should be done with so long symptoms. This should cure the problem in all likelihood. A presence of foreign body reaction is the likely cause of these symptoms with superimposed yeast and bacterial infection. The infective organisms are very small in number, good enough to cause the symptoms, but not sufficient to grow colony on the culture / swab test. Before the removal of IUD, you may consider taking anti yeast treatment for recurrent or refractory yeast infection. The thick white discharge is quite suggestive of yeast infection. A fraction of women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis, which often require long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen prevents further recurrence in majority of women.

Boric acid wash for vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. Women who do not improve with above can use, clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months; this can be tried and is effective.

Also avoid (if you do) following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun