Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a red itchty ass hole with little bumps all around it.

Customer Question

I have a red itchty ass hole with little bumps all around it. It stays damp and I am trying to find out what I have and what I need to do. I have never had this before. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Any unprotected sex / anal sex?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Symptoms have just started last Saturday and yes I have been having anal sex with my partner and it has been unprotected sex.

You may consider STD testing at your local STD clinic, especially if the partner is new and has history of either STD or previous multiple partners.

Other consideration would be Pruritus Ani for your symptoms, which is quite common condition. It is usually more troublesome at night or after passing a bowel action. Excessive cleaning of the perianal area may exacerbate the problem by removing natural protective oils. Itching in the perianal area can also be associated with the presence of
a) hemorrhoids or
b) anal fissures,
c) infections or
d) skin conditions, so examination by a general surgeon and dermatologist would be prudent.

Following can be helpful:

1) Referral to a dermatologist and a general surgeon is necessary for the proper management.

2) It is important to keep the perianal area clean but at the same time limit trauma and rough cleaning of the affected area. Thus be as gentle as possible.

3) Avoid using soap. Use QV cleanser or aqueous cream instead.

3) Minimize scratching as much as possible as it may make itching worse

4) Use a non-perfumed cornstarch powder or barrier ointment such as Bepanthen to protect the skin.

4) If moisture is a more resistant problem then consider using a sanitary pad.

5) If the above measures fail then a mild anti-inflammatory cortisone agent (such as Sigmacort 1% ointment or Egocort 1% cream available over the counter) may be required.

6) Dietary factors like certain foods items can be associated with anal pruritus; these are: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, tomatoes, and citrus fruits. so they should be avoided.

7) A slight fecal soilage is very important cause for the anal itching. This happens due to a primary abnormality in the internal anal sphincter mechanism. Sleeping with a baby pad is the answer for it. Though some physician recommend biofeedback or Kegel exercises. The best ointment and helpful measure is a 1 percent hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily with keeping it dry. That should take care of it. Give atleast 3-4 weeks for this treatment as changing the local application cream frequently would not be helpful.

Please feel free for your follow up question.

Dr. Arun