Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

I have a pain in my lower right leg after sleeping for a few

I have a pain in my lower right leg (outside of my leg, near the shin) after sleeping for a few hours. I had a somewhat (but not overly) active day yesterday, and then slept for approx. 3 hrs. Should I be worried about a blood clot???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.

Is there any swelling , redness or increased local temperature?

Does it hurt to press your calf?

Any medical illness?

Any blood disorders?

Any medications?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr. Tharun,

No redness, swelling, heat, or inflammation that I can see. I take a number of vitamins every day, and the only other medication is a daily birth control pill. (Lutera).

No medical illness, no blood disorders that I know of.

I walked around the living room some and the pain subsided, but then came back. This may just be a leg cramp, but it is in a strange place, and so it worries me. (Better safe than sorry, I guess.)

Thank you so much for your help,

**Just remembered, I am at the end of a 14 day detox pill with Acai... haven't had any problems with it, and friends have used it before and suggested it to me.

Hello Amanda,

Thanks for the reply.

It definitely seems like a case of sore muscle than a blood clot.Usually thrombosis(clot) presents with swelling, redness and pain more along the calf region.

It needs some bed rest and plenty of oral fluids - water, juices,coconut water,Gatorade which will help the fatigued muscles.

Even though the birth control pills have slight risk for leg clots, absence of any positive symptoms makes it a less likely diagnosis.

I hope this clears your anxiety.