Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have chronic kidney disease and have become very constipated

I have chronic kidney disease and have become very constipated without having a bowel movement in 4 days. My doctor recommended miralax which I have taken for three days now with no results. I have also used ducolax suppository and senecot-s (6 tablets a day) for about four days before this. Without going to the e.r. at this time of night is there a safe alternative? Is taking an enema an option? Are there any types of enemas which are safe for my kidneys? what is the name of a specific product we can purchase at our 24 hour pharmacy? Please let me know

Greetings.

You can use fleet mineral oil disposable enema, with chronic kidney disease. It does not have water or salts. After pushing the enema in, do not retain it for more than 5 minutes and immediately sit on the toilet seat. This should help in passing the motion.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes please. I have read that mineral oil is to be especially avoided with kidney disease.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Am I mistaken?

This is the reason I mentioned, that it should not be retained in the rectum. If it is not absorbed, it would not cause any problem. That way it will be far less oil than what we consume in our food. You cannot take the water and salt based enema at all and the only option left is suppository.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun