Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello, Recently I have been experiencing some difficulties

Recently I have been experiencing some difficulties with urination. I was urinating frequently and not in big quantities and experiencing mild discomfort in my left testicle. Went to doc who advised that it is nothing to worry as it was a slight UTI which was rectified with medicine. Despite this i have noticed that in the evening after showering a can feel some volume increase in veins next to my left testicle and doc gave me a scrotum support to help this discomfort, which has helped a little bit. In the morning, these veins prectically disappear and am back to normal.

I always had an active sexual life and had an erection quite easily, but recently I am noticing that this is not happening any more. I still have erection, but not with the easiness as I used to have in the past. Even in the morning, sometimes I do not wake up with an erection.

I am extremly worried about this and probably my erections are not the same due to this. Yesterday I was going to have sex with my gf and did not have an erection immediately, but after some time. Is this because I am very worried? Could I have something serious?

Please help...

Your description points to a suspicion of the condition called as varicocele. This is dilatation of the veins of the testes (stagnation of the blood in the veins of testes). With the lying down, this stagnation disappears. This can give mild pain in the testes. Though erection problem is more likely due to psychological affection of this area which plays on the mind. Please read about the varicocele in this authentic resource;

The other possibility for your symptoms would be epididymis infection called as epididymitis. Epididymis stores sperms after they are formed in testes. A urine culture and a semen culture would be diagnostic for establishment of it's infection. A culture also tells about the best antibiotic to treat this infection.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But is this something serious and should I seek immediate medical help?

This is not serious and there is no urgency in it. You can get a routine appointment in a week or so.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun