Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

IM 24 MALE. I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME GAINING WEIGHT,

Customer Question

IM 24 MALE. I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME GAINING WEIGHT, I TRIED EVERYTHING TO GAIN WEIGHT, EATING CERTAIN TYPES OF FOOD AND I ALSO EAT ALOT OF FAST FOOD SINCE IM HARDLY HOME AND CANT COOK =(, AND VITAMINS, AND CREATINE BUT CANT GAIN THE WEIGHT. IM ALSO A MAIL CARRIER SO I PRETTY MUCH WALK ALL DAY SO THAT MAKES IT EVEN MORE HARDER TO GAIN WEIGHT. IS THERE ANYONE THATS 100% SURE KNOWS WHAT I SHOULD TAKE TO GAIN WEIGHT AND ACTUALLY WORKED? IM AT 130 POUNDS AND TRYING TO GAIN 15 OR MORE POUNDS FAST AS I WANT TO GET BIGGER (TRYING TO GET INTO FEDERAL LAWENFORCEMENT). THANKS =)
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 4 years ago.

First of all I would say that you need to get an exam and be tested for hyperthyroidism. This is when you metabolism is in overdrive and your thyroid is too active. That will cause weight loss or the inability to gain weight.

Then if that is normal. You can drink protein shakes in addition to your meals.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if i have hyperthyroidism can that be cure and if yes how?

Hyperthyroidism is treated with medication to decrease the amount of thyroxine your body is producing. Yes, most people will gain some weight after their levels become more normal.

So, you would need those tests to see if this is the cause for you and then depending on how high your levels are will be the type and amount of medication prescribed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can that also be the cause of me going to the restroom often after I eat? For some reason when I eat out I usually gotta use the restroom in 30 min to 1 hour after I eat. But the weird thing is if I buy fast food and bring it home I don't need to use the restroom. Also I can't drink milk or else ill be having stomach problems for a couple days.

No, that is usually not the cause of those additional symptoms.

THose causes could be like Irritable Bowel Syndrome or anxiety driven.

The mild is most likely due to lactose intolerance. You can buy lactaid and take that before you have any dairy products.

Edited by Celeste NP on 7/2/2010 at 4:49 PM EST
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your helpful info. ill be contacting my doctor for a visit and ask him about these things =) thanks