Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W

16 yrs old and has a good sized lump on his left ped

My son is 16 yrs old and has a good sized lump on his left testical. I have called my ped. and no one returned my phone call today. My son is really concerned about this saying that it was not there before. Should I take him to urgent care, or the ER? Or should I wait for the dr to call me back? I don't want to waste the time of the ER, but I want to make sure my son is ok.

Thank you!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I shall be trying my best to help you as much as I can. Could you please help me understand your problem by giving me the following details:

1) Exactly for how long is this swelling been present?

2) Is your son running fever?

3) Does he have mumps?

4) Any injury to his testicles?

5) Any other symptoms/ significant medical conditions or significant past history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1) Unsure for how long, but he noticed 2 days ago, when doing an exam on himself.

2) He is not running a fever.

3) He does not have mumps, and I don't believe that he would have been exposed to them.

4) He has been hit there before, he was kicked really hard during football about a year

and a half ago, and he does play sports alot, but he says he has not been injured

5) There are no other symptoms or medical conditions, he had surgery when he broke

his arm Sept. of this year and had to have a metal plate and rod put in, but that is it.

Thank you!

Is this swelling painful?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He says he has aching pain, but not shooting pain.

Thanks for the additional details. Having gone through your descriptions, with just a two day old history of this swelling, which is also painful, I feel that this might be due to “Testicular trauma with hematoma”. I think that his doctor would, besides carrying out a detailed examination, would also like to do an ultrasonographic scan of his testicle, and rule out the following possibilities as well:

(a) Orchitis

(b) Testicular torsion

(c) Tumor with acute hemorrhage

(d) Hydrocoele

Taking him to ER may help as he will require besides a doctor’s consult, maybe an ultrasonograhic evaluation also to reach/ confirm a diagnosis.

I hope that this information helps answer your query. Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can. Best wishes.