Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

prostrate..treated with radiation and is now cancer-free

my husbandhad prostrate cancer last year. He was treated with radiation and is now cancer-free. However, he is in pain most of the time. He has difficulty passing his water and when he does he sees blood.

He has discussed this with his doctor but he says he sees nothing and there is no cancaer there. He has seen several doctors and they seem to think the pain will disappear but what about the showing of blood? Please help us

What did his MRI and cystoscopy show?

Were video urodynamic studies done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The MRI and cystoscopy showed him as cancer-free?

Various studies were done by his urologists and found that he could not empty his bladder. His. Also, his flow was no acceptable to the doctor. He thought that maybe it was a brain thing. He is presently seeing a brain doctor??

Thanks for the further information.

If a urodynamic study has been normal, the urine flow problem can be psychological. Still the blood in urine needs to be addressed. The origin of the blood should be traced out; like from which organ is it coming. Whether from kidneys, ureters (tubes joining the bladder and kidneys), bladder, prostate or urethra. You need to ask specifically about the origin of the blood suspected from your husband's urologist, for the organ. The investigative studies would be directed to detect the cause for that specific organ. The commonest cause is INFECTION. A urine culture should be able to point to it and it will tell about the best antibiotic for treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

His radiation treatment was concluded several months ago; how long will he suffer hot flashes; bathroom discomfort (straining); pain in head of penis and rectum??

His stools change from day-to-day.

This is called as radiation cystitis (bladder inflammation) and radiation proctitis (colon inflammation). Radiation cystitis can be responsible for the blood in urine. These take sometimes 3-6 months to recover.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the diagnosis. Which doctor should he see for tratment of "radiation cystitis"? Should it be his oncologist; urologist or his neurologist? All of these doctors are involved along with his regular doctor who is an internists/heart specialists.

You are welcome.

Urologist would be the specialist to consult about the radiation cystitis.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun