CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

itching/..jawline and chin and hypersalivation/salivary gland pain

Customer Question

I have a problem that doctors have been unable to help me with. When I was started on xanax a few years ago I developed the side effects of itching/swelling long the jawline and chin and hypersalivation/salivary gland pain. I was kept on xanax for a couple of years despite these side effects. Now I have been off of it for several months but I am still having these symptoms. My body is acting like I'm still taking xanax. Can you offer any help?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.

While xanax can cause hypersalivation it is likely that this would self resolve within a few weeks of discontinuing the medication. Other causes of the symptoms you are experiencing include a Mass in the oral cavity, Lesions of the oropharynx(especially involving the soft palate and glossopalatine arch) , pharyngeal disease , neuromuscular disease, abnormally large retropharyngeal lymph nodes , or Salivary gland problem. If this continues, I would recommend you ask your Doctor to help find the cause of this problem so it can be diagnosed and treated appropriately. I hope this information is helpful to you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)