Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Terrified I have colorectal cancer. For a couple of weeks,

Terrified I have colorectal cancer. For a couple of weeks, I was severely constipated, and then several days ago I started having blood and mucus in my stool. I am only 31. I have not been diagnosed with hemmorhoids, and I don't think I have an anal fissure because there's no pain. Could there be any explanation other than cancer? Note: I've been under enormous stress and have eaten next to nothing and been pretty dehydrated for a number of weeks now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Just a blood in stool would not conclude for colorectal cancer. A severe constipation alone can be responsible for the blood in stool. The hard stool (called fecalith) can erode the internal lining of the rectum. Transient internal hemorrhoid bleeding is very common in severe constipation in people who had no hemorrhoids earlier. In your age, colorectal cancers are quite uncommon.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the mucus situation?

Mucus never points to cancer and this only shows that colon and rectum are irritated and are not absorbing it back. Mucus is normal secretion of the bowel for facilitating the stool and act as lubricant. Anxious people loose mucus just because anxiety causes abnormal movement of the rectum and colon. Mucus is more indicative of diseases like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun