A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

hi i am very frustrated! at 2pm today i took 2 cvs brand opk

Customer Question

hi i am very frustrated! at 2pm today i took 2 cvs brand opk strip tests. BOTH looked PROBABLY positive (the thinner part of the test line was AT LEAST as dark as the control line) i followed up with the last clearblue digital stick in a box i had and i got the positive smile face. just to FURTHER confirm, i opened anothe clearblue digital box and got 2 NEGATIVES!! 3.5 hours later with a new urine i just got a negative cvs test strip. what gives??????!!!! any knowledge or advice abt these test kits would be appreciated
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. How late is your period?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi! my peroid is not due is cycle day 20 for me. i seem to ovulate anywhere between day 16 and day 20 usually...i also have had EWCM for 3 days now

Sorry about that. I am so accustomed to answering questions about pregnancy tests.

Sometimes the ovulation predictor tests can be frustrating to use. The tests must be read precisely. There is no "almost" positive. It should be clear as day whether it is positive or not. If there is any doubt, consider it a negative.

The digital kits are a little more accurate than the strips, but they are not 100% either. I would wait and check again in the morning. Meanwhile, you can try intercourse since sperm can live for up to 5 days after ejaculation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but the thing is that those tests done at 2pm really were positive,......could that have been the tail end of a VERY short surge that is gone 4 hours later???

It could have been, but I'd still try again in the morning with a fresh digital test. It could also have been a bad lot of tests.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if its negative again in the morning should i consider today's positives as positive? so confusing!!!!! the urine that the positives were from was very concentrated, the urine 4 hours later was still yellow but defibately less concentrated
If tomorrow's are negative, there is really no protocol for saying what today's tests might have meant. The positive one might have been correct, or it could have been a bad test. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.