Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have very mild but chronic heartburn. It has been going

I have very mild but chronic heartburn. It has been going on for about 6 months. When I take Prilosec it seems a little strong and I end up with an upset stomach. I saw my dr. for this and he recommended watching my diet for trigger foods (coffee, spicy foods, chocolate, etc.) and to take a milder medication like Zantac. The thing is, it never gets really bad. It is mild and chronic. As soon as I eat anything it starts and stays with me all day and into the night while I sleep. When I take a Zantac it will go away for about 24 hours and then it is back. I don't get acid reflux where anything travels all the way up my throat. It is just a mild burn where it seems that my esophogus meets my stomach. Could this be something different than what I describe as heartburn? Once you get an episode of moderate to severe heartburn, are you always susceptible to having heartburn. I ask because I never used to have heartburn until about 6 months ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

The causes of heart burn can be gastritis (stomach irritation due to Helicobacter pylori), peptic ulcer (again caused by H pylori) and Hiatal hernia; apart from reflux (GERD; gastroesophageal reflux disease). A 6 month heartburn would warrant an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (camera exam) to look for above condition. The H. Pylori can be confirmed by other tests too. It is treated by a combination of medicines; Amoxicillin, Metronidazole and Zantac. This would abate the heartburn completely. Any other cause of heartburn is not very likely. So you should not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun