Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I fell about a week ago, miss a step and hit mid bottom of

I fell about a week ago, miss a step and hit mid bottom of my right knee. The Dr called a contusion. However now moderate swelling around knee, bulging outer right of knee, popping noise when walking and back of knee, feels like knee cap has moved.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It is very possible that your knee cap has dislocated or that you have formed fluid behind your knee cap causing you these symptoms. Simple contusion should be going away by now instead of getting worse especially if you have been icing it.

My recommendation would be that you go back to your GP and ask for an x-ray of your knee. If x-ray does not show any abnormalities, you might benefit from having MRI of your knee which looks more at soft tissues such as ligaments, tendons, muscles.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,