Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Pain in ankle and tightness with tingling foot -numbness in

Pain in ankle and tightness with tingling foot -numbness in toes= pain is not always there
cramping sometimes in ankle
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Were any investigations done for these symptoms?

Are you diabetic?

Do you have any back problems spinal issues?

Are you on any medications / supplements / herbs?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
about 10 months no investigations not diabetic-some back pain not all the time I have had it off and on for about 8 years Blood pressure pills 5mg. once a day I do take lots of Vitimins B12- Vt. K =Vit D. Multi Vit. - pace maker needed for heart rate too low

Your symptoms (ankle pain, tightness with tingling foot and numbness in toes) can be due to pinched nerves in the back. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in back

2) Lumbar spondylosis; bone spurs in the back vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

The mainstay of the treatment is physical therapy. The other investigation to done would be estimation of blood levels of Vitamin B12. Deficiency of it also may be responsible for symptoms and will need injections of the Vitamin B12.

Prevention of the cramps is the best cure; for that following measures should be employed for the ankle cramps, which you have off and on:

1) Drink water at regular intervals, even whey you are not thirsty.

2) Drink more than what you require.

3) Drink fruit juice or a sports beverage if the working conditions are hot and one sweats a lot.

4) If cramps occur frequently, stretching exercises help. Muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone can also help.

5) Following exercise may help you before you go to bed; Stand about 30 inches from a wall and, keeping the heels flat on the floor, lean forward and slowly move the hands up the wall to achieve a comfortable stretch.

6) A few minutes on a stationary bicycle at bedtime may also help.

7) While in bed, loose covers should be used to prevent the toes and feet from pointing, which causes calf muscles to contract and cramp easily.

8) Propping up the feet up than the rest of the body may also help.

9) During the week, swimming and water exercises are a good way to keep muscles stretched, and wearing supportive footwear is also important.

10) Eating more nuts, seeds, seafood and low-fat dairy would help.

Once a cramp starts, do the following measures so it is arrested immediately;

1) Straighten the leg, flex the foot upward toward the knee, or grab the toes and pull them toward the knee.

2) Walking or shaking the affected leg, then elevating it, may also help.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what type of doctor

Following specialists would be the best to handle your problem;

1) Orthopedic specialist

2) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question about three years I had fallen on a metal railling hitting the back of my right ear- I did not pass out from it but I sometime have pain there - could this cause some of the poblems.

Since this has been three years, it cannot cause any problem. The persistent pain is due to fibrotic tissue (scar tissue which is formed during healing), which causes off and on pain as it is inelastic tissue with less blood supply.

Dr. Arun