Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

What do you use to soften toenails for cutting

What do you use to soften toenails for cutting?

Hello jacustomer pgtao2ny, I will try to help you. What have you tired already? Can you tell me about your toe nails - are they thick, thin, brittle, dry, spongy, etc?

Have you ever had a pedicure?

Have you been to a podiatrist?

What medical conditions do you have?

What medicines do you take, including over the counter and herbals?

I will await your response. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Toenails are thick. Never had a pedicure. Parkinson's Disease. Meds for high blood pressure, parkinson, zoloft for depression.

Thank you for the information. To soften your toe nails you could soak your feet in warm soapy water for 20 minutes or so and see if you are able to trim them. You could file them instead which would decrease the chance of cutting them too short which could create an infection problem for you. You can go to a nail salon and get a pedicure. They will soak your feet, scrub your feet, remove dead skin cells and calluses, trim your toenails and trim the cuticle and any hangnails you may have, then massage your legs. THey will paint your toenails unless you tell them not to do so. YOu can also tell them you do not want your calves heavily massaged since some salons do that. If your nails are very thick, you may want to talk to a podiatrist office who can trim your nails.

If you go to a nail salon, go early in the morning before the salon has time to use a lot of their chemicals for artificial nails. It will smell better early in the morning and the techs will be alert.

I hope this information helps. If it does, please click the green accept button. If you are very satisfied, a bonus is welcomed. Thank you for allowing me to help you today. Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns. I am here to help you.