CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have what I think is a boil just below my tail bone, between

I have what I think is a boil just below my tail bone, between my cheeks of my backside. It seems to come back quite often. Is this a boil or something else? What causes it and how should I treat it. It is quite painful to sit at the moment.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. You may have something called a Pilonidal Cyst, which is an abscess in the natal cleft (butt crack) that can persist for many years and may become infected causing pain and drainage. Pilonidals cysts or abcesses usually do not go away on their own and may require surgery, however somtimes they do resolve on their own. I hope thisi nformationhelps you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)