Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

i have recently been coughing up jelly like balls of clear

i have recently been coughing up jelly like balls of clear mucus. Please explain the possibilities of what this might be. My mother has recently also told me that she, too, has been coughingup the same jelly like balls of clear mucus too. We do not live in the same area of the uk as each other and therefore it cannot be linked to the household, as we are hundreds of miles apart geographically.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. Do you have any other symptom?Pain any where, fever ? Do you smoke?

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i smoke very little, as i am a social smoker, i smoke roll ups, but only maybe 10 per week maximum. sometimes not at all for months and months, as i am not actually a smoker per se.

i dont have fever and i dont have pain in the chest area at al

i suffer headaches however to the point where i am dry in the mouth and my head feels like it is in a vice tightening. the only pain relief that works is the product syndol.

im not sure if these headaches would be related to the balls of clear jelly that i continue to cough up .

the headaches seem to sometimes coincide with the oncoming of menstrual period. although sometimes i suffer these excrutiatin headaches when i am no due on.

after any strenuous exertion or when out in the cold weather, mild asthma is triggered.

i wheeze and feel very chesty and have to clear my throat and chest to be able to breathe and speak clearly.

upon waking in the mornings i am always suffering with constan nose drip..of clear mucus liquid.. having to blow my nose many times before it is clear and stops dripping. the mucus is liquidy enough to drip yet still rather thick consistency.

i have been known to sneeze continually for maybe 2 or 3 mins sometimes with an irritation to the back of my throat like a tickling sensation .

the coughing up of the jelly clear mucus type balls are concerning me though cos now, even if i sneeze, these jelly balls are being coughed up along with the sneeze.

hopefully you will be able to assist me with some information as to what is causing this, as i have just paid via paypal for this service.

many thanks

jnee x

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Clear ball like mucus sounds like an allergy or irritation/inflammation of the mucosa. This can come from the sinus from chronic sinusitis or as post nasal drip. Sometimes there can be polyp in the nose too. In case it comes from lower respiratory tract it can take the shape of bronchial cast. Bronchitis can be an issue then. Headache can be associated with sinusitis or it can be due to some other cause not related to it like anxiety, stress or neurological . I feel you should get an examination by your GP. If he thinks he can refer you to an ENT specialist or a pulmonologist.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply and the information given therein.

The information you have given is most helpful.

However, what exactly causes chronic sinisitus and post nasal drip? is there something within my diet that is causing this? or is it caused by some sort of an allergy?

How can i reduce the risk of further sinus problems?

jnee xx

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
Chronic sinusitis can be from an allergy, infection, deviated septum etc. These can cause the secretion to travel backwards into the back of the throat. Sometimes reflux or GERD can cause the irritation.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is a deviated septum and also what is GERD ?

in your opinion, is the coughing up of jelly clear like balls of mucus, a symptom of something serious, or rather, a common symptom that one shouldnt worry about, yet requires investigation ?

jnee x

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
In our nose there is a midline septum as you know which divides the nose in two passages. Sometimes this septum can be deviated to one side making the nasal mucosa vulnerable to inflammation or blockage of sinus opening. GERD is gastroesophageal reflux disease where there can be reflux of stomach contents into the throat. It is more often noted on lying down at night. However any long drawn cough or mucus should be investigated to exclude any serious cause.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many years ago i was diagnosed with reflux oesophagitis.

could these symptoms then, be connected to this?

jnee x

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
Reflux can be connected to this symptom as you had reflux esophagitis. Now there can be reflux again.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much for the information that you have given here today xx

i have never used this site before and have been very happy with your responses and th speed in which you have replied.

should i have any further enquiries later today or during another day, with regards XXXXX XXXXX concerns of these symptoms, do i follow the same procedure by clicking on the reply option to contact you further? or would my further enquiry be acknowleded as a new query and therefore an additional payment would be required?

please confirm the procedure should i wish to continue requesting information with regards XXXXX XXXXX symptoms that i have queried this morning.

much appreciated and once again thank you so much for your time and concern with regards XXXXX XXXXX matter xx

jnee x

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.

You are always welcome to Just Answer. If you are satisfied with the answer, please press the ACCEPT button so that I can be compensated for my time & effort. My part will not be released to me unless you press the accept button. You can follow this link if you have additional query regarding the same issue. But sometimes it can be late to answer, if I am offline then. Regards.
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ahh..ok, hadnt realised that i had to click on the accept answer option!

okay consider that done then ! x

thanks again for all the information that you have given today xx

i shall also pass on this information to my mother, who has been concerned about the same symptoms herself.

you have been extremely helpful and should i require further information, i hope to be assigned to you for assistance with regards XXXXX XXXXX matter.

much appreciated

jnee xx