Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

breast lump. i recently had a breast lump examined by my gp

breast lump. i recently had a breast lump examined by my gp and they were very unconcerned and reassuring about it. told me to keep an eye on it but that it didn't feel suspicious at all.
beside my breast ,towards my ribcage i have had (for a long time) an area of more fiberous feeling tissue. i have occasionally felt soft lumpiness in that area. now, in that tissue, i have a lump that is about the size of a lentil (1/2 cm). if i dig around, i can feel that it is in this fiberous tissue and not attached to the chest wall or skin above it. it seems firm and round and slips out of my fingertips when i try to grab it. it does not feel soft like a cyst but rubbery.
i've had a recent misscarriage also, which may add to hormaonal issues. i'm just looking for a second opinion because i am still worried after my doctors reassurnace .
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Your breast lump is most likely to be fibroadenoma with your description. It is a benign lump and is common in your age group.

The fibrous tissue on your rib cage is likely to be fibrolipoma. This also is a benign soft tissue lump and requires no treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun