Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

What is the appropriate placement for the bovie pad during

What is the appropriate placement for the bovie pad during an RFL when the pt has bilateral hip protheses?

Marti Potter
Administrator-Jersey Shore ASC
Submitted: 6 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
The Bovie pad can be placed just about anywhere on the body - this is just a grounding pad to provide for monopolar cautery. So, with bilateral hip replacement - this can be placed on the buttocks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In this instance, it is not for use with cautery but to conduct the radio frequency current. I have been told that there is a danger of "overheating" the prothesis if it is placed on the thigh or buttocks. I have also been told that it should be placed on the opposite side of the RFL site. Neither of these statements have been from an expert in the field.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Very unlikely to over heat the metal of the prostesis UNLESS there is arching - hence the buttocks which is many inches away should be a safe area. As long as the ground (the pad) is a minimum of 6 inches away from the metal then this should be fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure that in an elderly patient, the buttocks would be 6 in away from the ground pad. She doesn't have a lot of "padding".
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
You can always place the pad higher on the back as long as there is a good contact point. In other words, make sure there is no looseness of the pad whatsoever so there is no arcing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The RFL procedure is on the lumbar spine. The surgeon does not want the pad on the pt's back.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Another option is to place the bovie pad high on the back such as the shoulder area - try to stay away from the extremities as this can cause arcing.