Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP

my left thumb nail a longitudinal darkened line through my nail bed

I just noticed on my left thumb nail a longitudinal darkened line through my nail bed that extends to the tip of the nail. i noticed it about a week ago. I googled it and found that it could possibly be melanonychia. It only affects my left thumb. I'm 37, caucassian, and now severely paranoid that i have melanoma. Is this something i need to have checked out? It's not very dark, and I did read that it can be a side effect of chemotherapy. I of course have never received chemo, but as a licensed veterinary technician, I have administered doxorubicin and cytoxan, for 12 years. Could it possibly be from that? Should I be worried?

Can you upload a picture of your nail?

You can post a link to flickr or use the tree icon on the toolbar.

Try and get a real good close up if you can.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Your line is regular and of uniform color - so a benign malanocytic nevus is the most likely diagnosis.

Melanoma - are irregular in shape and color.

For sure you need to let your own MD have a look but from the images that you have posted I would consider a "serious" problem most unlikely.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr Jef